If you think rodents are the only cause of worry when it comes to infestation, think again! Did you forget about the nocturnal possums? Usually, these animals prefer to live in the hollow crevices of trees. However, the decline in vegetation owing to farming and urbanization has endangered their survival. But, excellent adapting techniques have led these animals in search of new shelters; mainly the roof cavities of your home. While these animals are not extremely dangerous, they can cause a lot of nuisance, removing them as humanely as possible is vital. Do you want to know how to get rid of possums in roof?
How to Know if you Have a Possum Problem?
Before you know how to get rid of possums in roof, you must first be able to identify the issue.
The most obvious symptom is the constant noise. Keep in mind that possums are nocturnal animals. They are active during the night. So, check to see if there are thumping sounds after dusk.
Moreover, observe if there are stains on the ceiling. Also, look out for urine marks on the walls. Furthermore, the aspect of a foul odour is also present.
However, the worst possible outcome is the death of the possum inside your roof cavity. In that case, you will come across a gagging stench. We suggest that you call in the experts immediately for the removal of the animal appropriately.
Steps to Getting Rid of Possums
There are multiple steps that you can follow to remove the possums from your roof. Take a look at the steps listed here to know how to get rid of possums in roof.
- The foremost step involves making sure that the animal that you want to get rid of is actually a possum.
- Now, before actually catching the possum, you need to think of an alternative home. It is cruel to simply kill it when you can arrange something else.
- After that, you must locate the nest of the possum. Keep in mind that you will find a weird smell around it.
- Wait till dusk to see the route that the possum takes to enter the roof cavity.
- The best way to deter the entry of the possum into the roof is to sprinkle naphthalene or quassia chips. You can also use camphor.
- Moreover, make sure that you light the roof cavity. The light coupled with smell will repel the possum.
- After you are sure that the possum has left the roof cavity, block the access and fill the hole. For this, you can use wood.
These are the steps that you can follow to get rid of possums in the roof.
Other Methods to Prevent the Possum From Re-entering the Roof
Sometimes, despite best efforts, the possum can come back. However, you can apply some preventive steps to deter that. These are externally useful in how to get rid of possums in roof.
- Remove all possible food sources and block all the access points. You must ensure that it is extremely difficult for the possum to gain entry.
- Cover the trash at all time to prevent the possum from gaining access to it
- Seal compost piles
- Cut off overhanging branches that directly fall over the roof.
- Put spikes on the fences.
- Use spotlights on big trees near the roof. These animals are sensitive to bright light.
- Purchase possum sprays.
Want to Get Rid of Possums? Get Professional Expertise Now!
Possums making your roof activity their home are not exactly surprising. However, if you don’t take immediate action, soon you will find your home as a habitat of numerous possums. They can cause severe damage to the house with time. Fortunately, there are some DIY steps that you can follow. But, for that, you must know how to get rid of possums in roof. However, we recommend that you attain professional roof plumbers help so that the chances of the possum returning are slim to none.